Saturday, January 18, 2014

Birds of El Juncalito

These are some of the birds we saw at Juncalito...the ones I got pictures of. I will try to identify them, but will need help with some. There were several new-to-me birds.
There were Magnificent Frigatebirds....this one with the white head is a juvenile.
Cardinals
 Western Scrub Jay
 In the estuary were Green-winged Teals, a Great Blue Heron, and a Great Egret.
 Great Egret
 Green-winged Teal and Greater Yellowlegs?
 Sparrows....I'm not good at narrowing down the sparrows.
 Green-winged Teals again.
 Osprey
 Brown Pelicans
 New-to-me, a Xantus's Hummingbird. Found him in the back of my bird book after I decided he had to be a White-eared Hummingbird. Xantus's are endemic to southern Baja, while the White-eared shouldn't be here.
 Turkey vultures...their job is to keep the beach clean.
 They roost in the date palms at night.
 Guess we walked by the estuary again.
 Hooded Oriole

 Dove...Common Ground variety I think.
 Sparrow
 We saw lots of Xantus's Hummingbirds, and some others I'm not sure of.
 New-to-me Pyrrhuloxia...in the Cardinal family
 Pyrrhuloxia

 Tern
 Could this be a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher? 
 Same bird
 Xantus's Hummingbird in flight.
 Another new-to-me, the Phainopepla.
 The male is shiny black with red eyes.


 The next few pics are of the same hummingbird....maybe you can figure out what kind.




 Phainopepla and a Xantus's Hummingbird
 Red-tailed Hawk
 At least that's what I think it is.
 I don't know this one.

 Some kind of flycatcher maybe?
 I don't know this one either.
 Western Scrub Jay again.
 A pair of Western Scrub Jays
 Verdin...taken through my screen.
Many birds were attracted to the berries in the bushes outside my window. 
American Oystercatcher
 Phainopepla again....male
The female Phainopepla is more grayish. 
 Her eyes are browner.
Another dove.
 The Green-winged Teals are still dabbling.
 Maybe a Costa's Hummingbird?


 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher again?
 Cactus Wren's nest in a Cholla cactus.

Cactus Wren 
Another Xantus's Hummingbird
 Maybe Costa's Hummingbird?
 House Finch in the bushes outside my window.
 House Finch
Other pretty things were attracted to the bushes next to my RV.






On the last day I stuck half an orange on the bush outside my window...an idea I got from my friend Birdie. It had some visitors...the Verdin,
 The Cardinal,
 And the butterfly.
There were other birds, wading birds and small jobbers that I didn't get a good picture of, as well as pictures I didn't try to take, like all the gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recent spam in comments, new comments will now await approval before publishing.